Thursday, January 19, 2012

In love with wax

I'm in love with wax.  I love watching tiny grains of pigment suspend themselves in molten wax. I love the silky, sultry texture of wax when it's cool.  I pet my paintings every time I walk by them.  I've feverishly studied encaustics with the greats. I strive for the highest impact in every inch of wax.  I'm truly in love.

However, I am not a photographer.  I am thankful that there are people who do such things very well.  Often I find myself frustrated, trying to relay the beauty of these translucent layers of color in a picture.  Today is one of those days.  This is my pic of a new work, Dancing Ladies.  One of the reasons that she's so exciting is that she almost glows.  She also has several different bubbles with new techniques.  I could go on and on but I digress.  Instead, I've attempted to take closer pics of some of her details. 

 
Dancing Ladies, 48"x30", encaustic on panel.

The swirls of color you see are suspended in different layers of wax.


I'm becoming very fond of translucent bubbles which showcase the veins of color undernath.


This is my current favorite technique.  I'm calling them chrysanthemums.

Okay one more.  See the white bubbles on the right in the river of dark blue?


Luckily, all the pieces are being photographed in high resolution for a book.  I'll change out the images on my website as soon as the new ones become available.  You really must see them in person to get the full effect but I'm so happy with the wax I couldn't wait to show some previews!  Enjoy!

If you're interested in playing with wax, enroll in my next workshop at Oil and Cotton Creative Exchange in Oak Cliff.  It's January 28th at 10am.  It's a great way to spend a Saturday!  All skill levels are welcome.  Here's the direct link on their website:

See you there!
Ann-Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment