Thursday, January 5, 2012

Four Paintings in One!


I'm so excited about these new paintings!  The best thing about them is that they can be hung all four ways.  It's a different painting every direction you turn it.


Like this!  Do I hang them in my own home in different directions?  Yes!  Being a collector and an artist, I'm sure I move around more art than the average household but you should try it sometime!  I turn paintings to fit a space or just to change my view. 


The Burn Collection is also fun because the medium is a special mix of wax and resin and I paint using my special blowtorch as a brush.  Power tools are sooo much fun! 

Speaking of power tools, the Burn collection is also special because I get to use a power buffer to make the surface as smooth and clear as glass.  The dozens of layers of pigment trapped in the wax are illuminated after polishing.  It's an effect that a camera just can't capture.  They're quite intricate in person!

Often people ask how to care for an encaustic piece.  In the past, I have made some more fragile pieces that had to be handled gingerly.  These pieces have been durability tested by grandchildren in a myriad of ways and they can be cleaned just by wiping with a dry or damp cloth.

The Burn Collection will be touring the southwest for sale this year. The first opportunity to see it will be at Casa Manana in Fort Worth in March and April.  Follow my Ann-Marie Barker, Contemporary Art page on Facebook for dates and locations where you can see it.  View the entire collection that's growing day by day at http://www.annmariebarker.com/. It's worth the look!

No comments:

Post a Comment