Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Frustrated Housewife

The Frustrated Housewife, 30"x48", encaustic on panel.

This is one of my newest works, The Frustrated Housewife.  It's a playful view of the modern 1950's homemaker.  She happily bobs along dressed in her salmon pink suit, barely noticing the chains that bind her, thinly veiled as a belt.

I can really identify with her.  Not out of my own frustration but rather as a daughter and granddaughter who watched the evolution of women in the workplace. 

Because I watched my grandmother's independence in entering the workplace after her children were grown, I assumed all women could do that. 

Because I watched my mother work full time at a profession that was her passion while being an amazing wife and mother, I never felt the shackels of stereotypical women's roles of the mid 1950's. 

My mind has always felt free to be anything I choose to be.  I'm sure it's obvious by my profession that I have also chosen to follow my passion of art.  I'm so grateful to the long line of strong, independent women that paved the way for me personally. 

The women of the 1950's, most of them housewives (some frustrated, some not) paved the way for all of us to CHOOSE to be a homemaker or anything else we'd like to be.

I have fun in all my art.  Even a piece to release pain brings delight to my eyes and a smile to my face.  I'm sure there were unpleasant things about being that 50's lady.  In my view, I choose to focus on the joy whenever possible and she's a joyful, happy-go-lucky piece.  She's quite the conversation starter, to be sure!  I hope The Frustrated Housewife toys with your imagination as it does mine.  And don't worry about her, she's happily frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment