Sunday, November 21, 2010

Frenzy


Frenzy is a small work: only 10"x8". I was working on other pieces one afternoon and had the door open for ventilation with the encaustic wax.  A single bee flew in the door, up to the ceiling and then dove, Kamikaze-style, straight down into the hot wax. 

Within a few minutes, there were many more bees in the room. I closed the door to prevent further bees from entering as I wondered how to get the inside bees back outside.  Several more dove into the wax.  I noticed that they were perfectly preserved so I set out to make a piece out of them. 

As I was working at a frenzied pace on three pieces, the bees were in their own frenzy from the scent of the heated beeswax.  My first sting came from me stepping on one of the bees that was walking on the floor. 

My second sting came when I tried to dip a dead bee from the windowsill into the wax.  I lost it from the hand that was holding the bee and impaled myself with its stinger in the palm of the other hand.  After that, he definitely got dipped in the wax!

If you'll look closely at the piece, toward the bottom center, you'll see little white bubbles.  That was the baking soda and water dripping from my stung hand as I continued to work.

Since making this piece and the traumatic day for all concerned, I have spoken to a bee charmer lady named Michelle Pryor.  She instructed on how to safely coexist with the bees that are continuously interested in my art.

I think there are 12 or so bees in this piece, perfectly preserved.  If you look closely, you can even see some of their little tongues.  A one of a kind piece, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment